Friday, August 17, 2012

Better and Best.

I'm a Martha.

 There, I said it. I typed it out loud for the world to see. And yes, I'm guilty, as we all are, from time to time. Guilty of being more Martha than Mary. It isn't terrible, but there are better things. I am also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and as such have chosen to live my life pointed toward service in Christ.

For those of us unfamiliar with the story of Jesus' visit to Martha and Mary, it is a short parable found in the book of Luke in the Bible. A parable of only five short verses, it is one with profound meaning. When Jesus visited her village, Martha received him into her home. Once He was settled, Mary sat at Jesus' feet and "heard his word" (Luke 10:39, King James Version). Martha, I imagine excited at having such a visitor, was busy preparing her home and preparing to serve. She went to Jesus, and had the following to say: "..Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me." (V. 40)  In part, Jesus replied "But one thing is needful: and Mary hath achosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." (V. 42

Was Martha doing a bad thing? Not in my opinion. She was attempting to treat her guest with respect and make Him comfortable in her home. Was it the best thing she could have done at that moment? No. There are good things, better things, and best things. It's a given that we should concentrate on the "best" things. I can't say I wouldn't have responded the same way as Martha. In fact, I know I would have. There were many times as roommates when Kerri and I would entertain our friends and I would be irritated or upset because I felt she was socializing more than helping to ensure the bruschetta looked just perfect. Do people remember bruschetta? Not really. They remember how much fun they had, and how you treated them and made them feel in your home. And whether you paid attention to them. 

In 2012, there are so many distractions. So many good things tugging at our attention. We are so busy developing relationships with those around us, trying our best to serve in the best way possible, serving as visiting teachers, friends, relief society presidencies and so on that it's becomes very easy to be more Martha than Mary. 

And so, when I realized a few days ago that I was in need of a major attitude adjustment, I decided to do something about it. I want to be more Mary than Martha, a woman who will sit at the feet of Christ and not let myself become too distracted by good things that don't matter as much as others. I enlisted my best friend, Miss Kerri, to aid me in my quest. Together, we decided to read all four books of Scripture: The Bible (King James Version), The Book of Mormon, The Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. We believe all four to be  the word of God, with the Book of Mormon being another testament of Christ. In addition to our daily scripture reading, our hope is to do something each week to put into practice the things we've learned through scripture study that week and post our experiences on our blog. It is my hope that you will come with us on this journey, and learn with us as we seek to improve ourselves through the word of God and apply it to life in 2012. 

Here's to new adventures!

Christi


No comments:

Post a Comment